Mass Grave In Dungannon
Last Monday (4/24/17) work was stopped on Carland Road, Dungannon between Drumglass High School and South Tyrone Hospital. The stoppage was caused by the discovery of multiple human remains.
The “discovery” is not shocking; what is truly shocking is that the mass grave is referred to as “discovered.” What caused Dungannon people to forget the genocide inflicted upon their relatives and neighbors in 1845-1850? Though Ireland’s workhouse inmates were almost exclusively Catholic, some Northern workhouses were anomalies, e.g., Ballymena and Magherafelt had many Protestant inmates.
Dungannon workhouse “footprint” totaled approximately 1.8 acres leaving approximately 4.2 acres of grounds on its six acre site. The practice of workhouses in Ireland was to pile their dead into pits dug within their grounds. Where the grounds became completely full of those pits, the Union Board of Guardians acquired an additional burial site nearby. The Carland Road reconstruction site is obviously within part of the workhouse’s 4.2-acre mass burial site – a desecration.
To help eliminate genocide as governmental policy we must openly discuss why many hundreds of 1845-1850 mass graves dot Ireland. It took more than half of Britain’s army to starve Ireland; to remove, at gunpoint, Ireland’s abundant agricultural production; livestock, meats, dairy- and poultry-products, grain, oatmeal, flour, etc. Where the combined constabulary and landlords’ militia regiments met too much resistance from the people, the nearest British army regiment was summoned. The latter never failed to remove the food. The regiments available nearby to enforce the Dungannon area food removal were the 27th, 44th, and 74th of Foot.